Monday, January 10, 2011

Tronalicious

     I saw Tron: Legacy last month which gave my eyes orgasms, so much so that I had to have more. Baby needed his crack so instead of paying money to go watch the film again I decided to Google image search instead. Whilst I gave my eyes a cheap substitute for the real deal, I stumbled upon a girl who had made her own Quorra costume this past Halloween.

  


     I read that she used faux leather and Electroluminescent (EL) wire or tape to create this DIY Tron: Legacy costume. After seeing such inspirational innovation, I decided that I too wanted to create my very own light up Tron outfit. So instead of just blindly searching for "Tron" and "Tron: Legacy," I decided to look up Tron outfits more specifically. One thing I saw was this official merchandise motorcycle outfit. Instead of EL wire, or any other form of illumination, they use reflective tape.
  



     I mean, these are cool and all, but I want something that actually lights up, also these are a bit on the pricey side. So its back t scratch DIY for this guy. I then again made a more specific search for homemade Tron outfits. And what I found was outstanding. I had stumbled upon something thats been on the internet for over five years, I discovered the Tron Guy.


  


    Now, his costume is from the old school 1982 Tron. The original Tron isn't as popular as the one and is, in some circles, placed in the same category as playing Dungeons and Dragons (D&D). But say what you will about the Tron Guy, he is extraordinarily brave and has gained fame (or notoriety?) from this endeavor. He's been spoofed and interviewed several times.

  


     So since 2003, when he created his costume, hes gained much media attention especially with the new movie that just came out. But still I want my costume to be more of the new movie's style as opposed to the original's (despite my liking of nostalgia). So now its all of how to make it all work, how to put the costume together. I'm thinking of a black morphsuit as the base underneath it all, also some black leather motorcycle boots and motorcycle helmet. The armor and EL wire are the tricky parts. I've never used EL wire before personally, but I'm not a complete noob. I've known about the stuff for over a year due to one of my best friends, Blyth, who has used it before for her own outfits. So I'll have someone for referencing (thumbs up). But the armor, I'm a little clueless. I could get chunks of plastic for my chest, shoulders, and gauntlets but where does one find such plastic? Also I don't know what to do with my lower half. I may be ballsy at times but I don't necessarily want my junk just hanging out there, and with just the morphsuit I can have no shame. So I'll need to think of how to do that, leather pants maybe? However I end up doing it, I'm sure it'll come out great and I'll have a blast making it!

5 comments:

  1. Preeettty cool! The armor you can find at regular costume warehouses and spraypaint them. Attaching th el wire is simple! You just use clear thread and sew it on. I think its going to come out great! All ya have to do now is find a place to show it off ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Halloween 2011 in definitely going to be tron filled, but I foresee a lot of reflective tape so hopefully I'll be the coolest kid on the block next All Hallows Eve :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude this will be so awesome if you make it. You could be the next Tron Guy, except less creepy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I have always wanted to dress as one of Daft Punk. If I ever make a helmet we could have loosely matching Halloween costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha yeah a not so creepy Tron Guy would be sweet!
    And a daft punk costume would kick ass! Tell me when and where you get the helmet so I can possible get one too so instead of semi matches costumes we'll have definitely matching costumes lol

    ReplyDelete