Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!, Oi! Oi! Oi!

While working at Universal Studios Hollywood, I encountered many different people from all over the world. And since I was the one selling them their tickets to get in and letting them in through the entrance, I interacted with pretty much all of them. I've met people from India, China, Japan, Korea, Germany, Italy, Finland, France, UK, Brazil, Australia, and New Zealand just to name a few places off the top of my head. But one funny thing I observed about Australians is that everytime you yell out, "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!" they always shout back, "Oi! Oi! Oi!" Now I don't know if it's a genetic reflex or in order to leave their country they're swearn by their government to do so. And due to this automatic response that is never ignored, I wondered what would happen if you yelled "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!" in Australia? Would you be shunned and thought of as an ignorant American tourist? Or, the possibility I prefer, would you hear a country wide reply of "Oi! Oi! Oi!"?

No comments:

Post a Comment